Recruiting candidates can be a tedious task, but if you carefully plan out the process, it can be easy and relatively stress-free. Creating a checklist that covers the entire course of the process can help you easily identify what you need to do in order to find that perfect candidate. Here is a short compilation of tasks to consider when putting together your recruiting strategy.
1. Fully qualify the position with your hiring team and confirm approval to hire from finance or other appropriate divisions in your company
3. Create a list of the most important personality characteristics and ‘soft skill’ traits that you want in a candidate
4. Research similar job salaries and create a base range that is competitive, yet affordable
5. Notify all in-house employees of the new opening and fish for referrals
6. Evaluate in-house staff and proceed with the qualification process of in-house employees as appropriate.
7. If you decide upon a current in-house employee, start the transition process and end the search.
8. If you are not happy with any of the internal candidates, begin searching outside the company and post the job opening in various venues whether it be online or offline
9. Contact job placement firms and agencies for any leads or tips on finding a perfect match
10. Using the job description, fully qualify applicants and start scheduling phone interviews
11. Prep your team on how to effectively conduct phone interviews
12. Evaluate the team results of the phone interviews and schedule face-to-face interviews for the top candidates
13. Prep your team on how to effectively conduct face-to-face interviews
14. In a timely manner, communicate an offer to your top candidate
15. Communicate rejections to other candidates
I hope you find this list helpful…and not totally overwhelming. We have step by step “how to” articles for many of these tasks. If you have any questions or need any assistance, please leave a comment and we will be in touch to provide you assistance.
Written by Eric Lee
Dedicated to Every Client’s Success,
- How to Properly Qualify a Position
- How to Write a Great Job Description
- How to Benchmark a Competitive Compensation Range
- How to Prepare your Staff for an Effective Phone Interview
Are you ever involved with the hiring process? If so, sign up for our Hiring Manager email course which focuses on how to attract and hire the highest quality candidates.